Do your New Year’s goals include personal professional development or a resolution to read more? Is there a stack of great books nearby that you’ve been meaning to read? Did you make a list of book(s) to investigate that you heard about at the last SIGUCCS conference? Are you nervous about reaching your Goodreads reading challenge?
Us too! Let’s work together to make it happen with SIGUCCS.
Upcoming Book Selections
January 2021 SIGUCCS Book Club Hangout
Monday, January 25, 2021 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM (EDT)
Sign up here
|January 2021||Better Than Before|
|January 25, 3pm EST|
Sign up here
|March 2021||The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People|
|May 2021||The Unicorn Project: A Novel about Developers, Digital Disruption, and Thriving in the Age of Data|
|July 2021||Think Again|
|September 2021||First, Break All the Rules|
Marcus Buckingham & Curt Coffman
|November 2021||The No Asshole Rule: Building a Civilized Workplace and Surviving One That Isn’t|
Robert I. Sutton
Join the Discussions
Each month, there will be two parts to the discussion. On the last Monday of the month, we will start the conversation in Slack. You can find us in the #book-club channel.
If you have any questions or suggestions about how to participate in our reading group, please contact Laurie Fox.
A Few Rules
- The purpose of this book club is to read and enjoy new professional development books! Everyone is welcome to join the conversation. That includes people who have read the book before, people who have not yet read the book, and anyone who didn’t quite finish.
- You may find that you disagree with something that another member of the group has said. It is ok to disagree as long as it’s done respectfully.
- Keep on topic, but feel free to introduce information that is relevant to the discussion (historical facts, bio details, book background, related authors or topics).
- The moderators will serve to keep the group on topic, ensure everyone has a chance to contribute to the discussion, and assist with book selection and hangout schedules.
Previous Book Selections
- 168 Hours: You have more time than you think Laura Vanderkam
- Radical Candor Kim Scott
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck Mark Manson
- The Five Dysfunctions of a Team Patrick Lencioni
- Creative Trespassing: How to Put the Spark and Joy Back into Your Work and Life Tania Katan
- What if I Say the Wrong Thing?: 25 Habits for Culturally Effective People Verna Myers
- Crucial Conversations Kerry Patterson
- Turn the Ship Around!: A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders L. David Marquet
- The Monsters of Educational Technology Audrey Watters
- SuperBetter: the power of living gamefully Jane McGonigal
- QBQ! : the question behind the question John G Miller
- The Phoenix Project Gene Kim
- EQ Applied Justin Bariso
- Getting Things Done David Allen
- Atomic Habits James Clear
- Daring Greatly Brené Brown